Well, Well, Well, Tis the Season for festivities

Look who hasn't blogged in a hot minute. It has been nearly a year since I have been here in Germany, really, almost a year. We arrived fresh off a plane on December 17th last year, okay maybe not so fresh after the long flight, but never-the-less we made it after many weather delays. This upcoming time here I am sure hoping for a dreamy winter wonderland as last winter we got no snow, just a light dusting once. I absolutely love winter because that means mittens, cute hats, hot cocoa, sledding, cuddles, and Christmas. We started off our first season festivities tonight with our village, Schellweiler, celebrating the St. Martin Lantern Ceremony, typically on Nov 11th. It is celebrated with lanterns, mostly by children, typically they would follow someone dressed up like St. Martin (who dresses like a Roman soldier I read and would ride a horse), and they go through the village in a parade and it ends at a bonfire. I don't remember seeing an actor dressed up as St. Martin at ours, it's a small village but we did have a bonfire held by our local fire dept., yay for volunteer firemen. We also had the traditional cold weather beverage Glühwein and the children with their lanterns were super adorable. I did not follow them along the parade route to know if they sung the traditional songs but the local band was nice at the end of the parade. You can find out more information from the page in which I found information at: http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/germany/st-martin.

Our village is a beautiful village and really makes us feel at home and welcome, the festivities they have here through out the year are so traditional, it really makes us grateful that we chose this village to be a part of during our time here, wonderful people, wonderful place. We are looking forward to more celebrations with our friends in the upcoming days, months, and years. Lots of holidays are coming up with Thanksgiving and Christmas and not to forget all the Christmas markets. Hopefully I remember to blog more about our adventures.

Here are some photos from tonight. Sorry they are not the best, they are from my phone and of course it was dark. It's just a little taste of what our experience was like, in person, much cooler.




One of the children with is lantern. 
The parade beginning. 

My husband and I staying warm in the firehouse while we wait with our friends and enjoy some Glühwein. 

The bonfire that the fire department set up. 


Comments

Popular Posts